Full Body Workout
Getting fit and staying fit is a fantastic achievement. Fitness is key to staying healthy and happy. Exercising also helps keep the immune system running in peak condition and keeps your metabolism raring to go.
The following full body workout incorporates a few compound exercises, exercises that involve more than one joint and muscle group. Compound exercises are functional, increase your heart rate, and you can get more out of your time by combining upper and lower body in the same exercise.
Remember to warm up 3-5 minutes before you begin with some dynamic movements, such as jumping jacks, running on the spot, skipping.
Complete 10 to 12 repetitions of each exercise, then move onto the next exercise.
Rest 30 to 60 seconds between exercise.
Repeat workout 1-2x
1. Squat to shoulder press
2. Bent over row
3. Reverse lunge with bicep curl
4. Chest press on stability ball
5. Table top with Spine stretch
Squat to Shoulder Press
Targets: Shoulders, quads, hamstrings, glutes, triceps
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold one dumbbell in each hand so the dumbbells are in front of each shoulder with the palms facing each other.
- Sit into the hips to perform a squat; at the bottom, press both feet into the ground to move to a standing position. Press both arms overhead while keeping the palms facing each other.
Tip: Coordinate the moves so that the weight is lowered while sitting into the squat and the weights are pressed overhead once a standing position is reached. See the squat to shoulder press video.
Targets: back, posterior shoulder
- Hold a dumbbell in your hand and stand with your feet comfortable apart.Tighten your abdominal muscles, bend at your knees and lean forward at the hips. Keep spine nice and straight.
- Let your arm hang straight below shoulder, the raise weight until your elbow is in line with your shoulder and parallel with spine.
- Slowly lower the weight to the starting position.
- Perform 10-12 reps with right arm, then switch to 10-12 reps with left arm.
See the Bent-over Row video
Reverse Lunge and Bicep Curl
Targets: quads, hamstrings, glutes, biceps
- Stand up straight, shoulders back, chest lifted and weights at side (palms facing in).
- Take a big step backwards with left foot, lower your hips until your front (right) knee forms a 90 degree angle to the floor.
- Push yourself up to start, using the strength in front foot. Perform a bicep curl as you come up to stand.
- Perform 10-12 reps on right side, then repeat on left side.
Chest Press on Stability Ball
Targets: arms, chest, shoulders and abs
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, position your upper back on a stability ball. Feet flat on the floor and knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Position the dumbbells near your chest and armpit, elbows bent and palms facing forward.
- Press the dumbbells toward the ceiling until your arms are straight, keeping a slight bend in your elbow. Lower to start position.
See the Chest Press on Stability Ball video
Alternate: See the alternate Chest Press video
Table Top with Spine Stretch
- Kneel on all fours, hands under shoulders and knees under hips
- Breath in, maintain a long spine and slide your left leg back and up as your right arm goes forward and up.
- End position is horizontal straight line from tips of fingers to toes.
- Lower and repeat on other side.
See the Table Top with Spine Stretch video